WHAT WE WANT
We all need a good laugh from time to time, especially in an election year! VAE is looking to provide that laugh with our August exhibition, humor me! We are encouraging artists to submit works that are quirky, awkward, or just flat out hilarious. Artists should use the medium of their choosing and submit images, sculptures, narrative works (think comic strip), installations, videos...whatever! The sky's the limit! Think about what makes you chuckle, then use your creative practice to pass that joy along to others.
Entries must fit through VAE’s 104″ x 71″ door to be exhibited. Juried with JPEGs. Two entries per artist. Entries must be received by 11:59pm on Friday, July 8, 2016.
THE JUROR - Drew Robertson - comedian, artist, art handler/installer
Drew Robertson is a stand up comic living in Raleigh, NC. He is an artist and performer who likes to find the silly and strange in all aspects of life. At home on the stage, Drew has appeared, as a comic and performance artist in rooms, and performance spaces all over NC, and the country. He thrives sharing his unique perspectives through a mix of staccato one liners mixed with longer meditations on the absurd.
His art is tied to humor. Drew researches comedy and humor theories to make art that goes deep within the viewer, into the mind and their body. Using video, sound, performance or installation, he uses the vernacular of comedy: joke structure, timing, repetition, the pause, and gesture to form his pieces.
Drew has worked in multiple museums handling and installing everything from famously historic pieces of work to contemporary exhibitions that are more tech based. He has worked with the North Carolina Museum of Art, The Nasher Museum of Art, The Ackland Museum at UNC, City of Raleigh Museum, CAM Raleigh, and 21c Museum Hotel.
Online and paper entries are due by Friday, July 8, 2016 at 11:59pm.
Use this simple, online entry form to submit your entries. The form will ask you to:
> enter your personal contact information
> upload your entries OR submit a weblink for web-based submissions
> details about your entries
> and allow you to pay your entry fee
FILL OUT THE ONLINE ENTRY FORM HERE!
Paper Entry Form - Online entries are strongly encouraged, but if you'd prefer to submit a paper entry form, you can download the form here!
Deadline for entries.........July 8, 2016 at 11:59pm
Exhibition Run………………….….…..August 5-25, 2016
Opening Reception…………..…….….August 5, 6-10pm
Artwork pick-up…………...........……August 26, 11am-6pm - August 27, 11am-4pm
Members - $10
Non-members - $15
Click here to join VAE!
If you are using the online form to submit information about and images of your work, please review these instructions for naming your files:
- All files should be named like so: 01_LASTNAME_TITLE.jpg, 02_LASTNAME_TITLE.jpg.
- Still images should be sent as jpegs should be at least 1000px at their widest dimension, not to exceed 2MB per image. 2D artists may submit one JPEG per entry. 3D artists may submit two JPEGS (one full shot and one detail) per entry. Follow the filename format for works as indicated above.
- Video samples should be edited to no longer than 2 minute excerpts. It is strongly preferred that video & audio artists submit their work online through clips or url addresses to online sharing formats like hulu, vimeo, youtube, or dropbox. Videos submitted as uploaded files should be submitted as Quicktime files whose width is no larger than 720px and file size is no larger than 10MB (as that is the largest file eligible for upload on our entry platform). Video pieces will only be accepted for exhibition if they are captioned, either with open captioning that is integrated into the video, or closed captioning that can be turned on when needed. Read info about captioning videos on Youtube, with iMovie, or Quicktime! Please only submit video art or video documentation of an art piece that requires video to be fully experienced. Do not send video walk-throughs of static exhibitions or video slideshows. While web-hosted submissions are strongly preferred, video and audio samples can be submitted on CD if necessary. Please contact Brandon Cordrey to make arrangements for CD delivery prior to deadline. Follow the filename format for works as indicated above.
- Audio: Audio should be submitted as separate MP3 files. Each track should be no longer than 2 minutes. Follow the filename format for works as indicated above.
- Web-based: Web-based work should be submitted as a URL listed in the work sample list. Please only submit web-based projects. A portfolio website that features audio/video art and still images will not be considered.
humor me! is open to any living artist. A maximum of 2 works of any medium, per artist may be submitted. Two and three dimensional entries will be accepted. Work must be original and completed in the last 3 years. No copies, mechanical reproductions, molds or kit work will be accepted. VAE reserves the right to exclude work due to size or special requirements. Entries must be hand delivered to the gallery or mailed in a returnable container. Artwork submitted on behalf of an artist requires written and signed authorization from the artist. Click here to view VAE’s exhibition policies.
VAE’s gallery space is fully accessible and we strive to make the submission process accessible as well. We encourage anyone to enter our open call exhibitions. If you need any additional information or accommodations in order to enter this exhibition please email Brandon or call 919.256.6856 for assistance.
Ship artwork using a sturdy, reusable packing materials clearly labeled with your name and telephone number. Do not include return postage in case the artwork sells during the run of the exhibition. Following the exhibition each artist who shipped their work should generate a FedEx label and email it to Brandon so the piece may be returned. Do not use styrofoam packing peanuts. Shipments of artwork will be accepted July 25-30, 2016.
309 W Martin Street
Raleigh, NC 27601
VAE will retain a commission of 30% for VAE members, 50% for non-members on all work sold during the exhibit. If a work is not for sale please indicate with NFS value in appropriate space during registration or on the consignment sheet. Click here to join VAE!
All entries will be handled with the utmost care and respect. VAE is not liable for artwork during transportation to or from the gallery but does carry a blanket inland marine policy that covers most fine art works and craft items up to $5,000. VAE reserves the right to refuse coverage to artwork with inherent vices, high values or that is deemed unstable. By entering into this show, the artist agrees to abide by all rules and regulations as set by exhibition guidelines.
QUESTIONS? Email Brandon!