February 2 - March 24, 2018
Deadline - 11:59pm on January 1, 2018
The South is a hub for creativity. Raleigh is doing its part to lead this charge: The City of Raleigh has adopted the Raleigh Arts Plan, a ten-year master plan to strengthen arts and culture for all.
To do our part, VAE showcases some of the most ambitious and timely works by artists from across the region in our annual exhibition, Contemporary South. The purpose of the exhibition is to gather a survey of what artists in the Regional South are currently creating. Since 2012 this exhibition has grown and expanded to become one of VAE's most popular exhibitions.
We invite you to help us make COSO'18 the best iteration yet!
- The words "contemporary" and "south" do not dictate a particular aesthetic or subject matter, but refer to current work being made in the Regional South.
- No media restrictions.
- Entries must fit through VAE’s 104″ x 71″ door to be exhibited.
- Juried with JPEGs.
- Two entries per artist.
- Entries must be received by 11:59 pm on January 1st, 2018
JUROR - Mary Anne Redding
Mary Anne Redding serves as Curator and Assistant Director of the Turchin Center for the Visual Arts at Appalachian. Mary Anne has more than twenty-five years experience as a curator, archivist, librarian, educator, and arts administrator. Prior to joining the Turchin Center, she was the curator of the Marion Center for Photographic Arts and chair of the photography department at Santa Fe University of Art & Design. Previously, she was the curator of photography for the Palace of the Governors/New Mexico History Museum. She holds a B.A. in English literature from Ohio University, an M.A. in arts administration from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, an M.L.S. from the University of Illinois, Champaign/Urbana, as well as an advanced certificate in museum studies from Arizona State University. She has written and published numerous essays on photography and contemporary art and also actively guest curates exhibitions at museums around the country.
First - $500, Second - $250, Third - $100, (2) Merit Awards - $50.
Please use the online entry form to submit artwork details and pay your entry fee.
The form will ask you to:
> enter your personal contact information
> upload your JPEG entries OR submit a link for web-based submissions
> provide details about your entries
> allow you to pay your entry fee
VAE members - $10 per artwork/$20 for two pieces*
Non-members - $15 per artwork/$30 for two pieces*
*Entry fees are non-refundable. Click here to join VAE!
Deadline for entries.......................11:59 pm on January 1st, 2018
Artwork Drop-off...........................January 25-27
Exhibition Run………………….….…....February 2 - March 24, 2018
First Friday Receptions…..…….….February 2 & March 2, 2018 6pm-10pm
Artwork pick-up…………...........……March 28-31
To use the online form to submit information about and images of your work, please review these instructions for naming your files:
- All files should be named like so: 01_LASTNAME_TITLE.jpg, 02_LASTNAME_TITLE.jpg.
- Still images should be sent as jpegs should be at least 1000px in their widest dimension, not to exceed 2MB per image. 2D artists may submit one JPEG per entry. 3D artists may submit two JPEGS (one full shot and one detail) per entry. Follow the filename format for works as indicated above.
- Video samples should be edited to no longer than 2-minute excerpts. It is strongly preferred that video & audio artists submit their work online through clips or url addresses to online sharing formats like hulu, vimeo, youtube, or dropbox. Videos submitted as uploaded files should be submitted as Quicktime files whose width is no larger than 720px and file size is no larger than 10MB (as that is the largest file eligible for upload on our entry software). Video pieces will only be accepted for exhibition if they are captioned, either with open captioning that is integrated into the video, or closed captioning that can be turned on when needed. Read info about captioning videos on Youtube, with iMovie, or Quicktime! Please only submit video art or video documentation of an art piece that requires video to be fully experienced. Do not send video walk-throughs of static exhibitions or video slideshows. While web-hosted submissions are strongly preferred, video and audio samples can be submitted on CD if necessary. Please contact Kyle Hazard to make arrangements for CD delivery prior to the deadline. Follow the filename format for works as indicated above.
- Audio: Audio should be submitted as separate MP3 files. Each track should be no longer than 2 minutes. Follow the filename format for works as indicated above.
- Web-based: Web-based work should be submitted as a URL listed in the work sample list. Please only submit web-based projects. A portfolio website that features audio/video art and still images will not be considered.
COSO'18 is open to any living artist. A maximum of 2 works of any medium, per artist may be submitted. Two and three-dimensional entries will be accepted. Work must be original and completed in the last 3 years. No copies, mechanical reproductions, molds or kit work will be accepted. VAE reserves the right to exclude work due to size or special requirements. Entries must be hand delivered to the gallery or mailed in a returnable container. Artwork submitted on behalf of an artist requires written and signed authorization by the artist.
VAE’s gallery space is fully accessible and we strive to make the submission process accessible as well. We encourage anyone to enter our open call exhibitions. If you need any additional information or accommodations in order to enter this exhibition or become a VAE member, please email Brandon or call 919.256.6856 for assistance. Visit our accessibility page for more information.
Ship artwork using a sturdy, reusable packing materials clearly labeled with your name and telephone number. Do not include return postage in case the artwork sells during the run of the exhibition. Following the exhibition, each artist who shipped their work should generate a FedEx label and email it to Kyle so the piece may be returned. Do not use styrofoam packing peanuts. Shipments of artwork will be accepted January 25-27, 2017.
309 W Martin Street
Raleigh, NC 27601
VAE will retain a commission of 30% for VAE members, 50% for non-members on all work sold during the exhibit. If a work is not for sale please indicate with NFS value in appropriate space during registration or on the consignment sheet. Click here to join VAE!
All entries will be handled with the utmost care and respect. VAE is not liable for artwork during transportation to or from the gallery but does carry a blanket inland marine policy that covers most fine art works and craft items up to $5,000. VAE reserves the right to refuse coverage to artwork with inherent vices, high values or that is deemed unstable. By entering into this show, the artist agrees to abide by all rules and regulations as set by exhibition guidelines.