RESOURCE LIBRARY > TIPS FOR NEW ARTISTS
Art isn't a job; it's a lifestyle!
Being a successful professional artist requires cultivating and contributing to a community of like-minded buyers and fellow artists. It requires making genuine friendships and balancing generosity with personal ambition. It requires valuing and treating people as people (rather than tools or opportunities). This sounds simple, but it takes years to accomplish. We recommend the following steps to get your art career underway:
- Become a VAE member! VAE membership gets you discounts on entry fees and commissions, free access to many VAE programs and workshops, and a subscription to VAE’s weekly members-only e-news. Learn more about VAE membership by clicking here.
- Come say hello! Visit galleries! Look at art! Talk to people (and not just about yourself or your art)! VAE is open from 11-6 Wednesday – Saturday and from 6-10 on First Fridays. Your best bet is to make an appointment with staff so we can give you the grand tour personally.
- Learn new things! VAE hosts workshops, lectures, critiques and meetings a year, as do other organizations in this area. Places like Jerry's Artarama, Pullen Arts Center and Sertoma Art Center offer technical workshops to improve your art-making skills! Stay curious and talk to your classmates!
- Volunteer! Come on down to the gallery and help install a show, hang lights or help other artists. To sign up for our calls for volunteers, sign up for our news and check the ‘volunteer opportunities’ box. It's a super way to spend quality time with staff and meet new people.
- Enter one of our exhibitions. We have opportunities for artists at all stages of their careers – from shows a community venues, featured artist programs, group shows and competitive juried exhibitions. Check the exhibition schedule to see what's coming up.
- First Fridays! Go out on the town on the first Friday of every month and see what’s happening at VAE and galleries all over Raleigh. Check our guide of the local galleries and museums and starting planning your night! Also check the official First Friday website for venue info!