United Arts Council
June 1 - 29, 2018
Deadline - 11:59 pm on May 7, 2018
VAE in partnership with our community venue, United Arts Council, is hosting a juried exhibition for the artist United project. Artist United is a group of multi-disciplinary artists dedicated to a life of cultural expression, insight, and social consciousness.
The Walls We Build is the inaugural theme for the artist UNITED to ask and explore “how people treat each other.” Walls, both physical and metaphorical, exist throughout the world. They have an application of separating people and places. As such, the question “how people treat each other” bares the deeper consideration of why humans desire to split and divide themselves. Highly political and personal in its foundation, UNITED states “Our strength as citizens and as artists arises from our ability to question and debate issues, contradictions and ironies that confront us.” Some things to consider include:
How does this feel?
What does this look like?
Can walls be positive?
Do they only bring antagonism?
What is an alternative to walls?
In this interpretation, UNITED asks other artists and creative groups of North Carolina to join and submit works to be displayed in the “Art Walk” events in Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Carrboro, and Hillsborough in the month of June 2018. Examining walls within the limits and context of North Carolina. For example, the Women’s March in Raleigh or the law House Bill 2 (HB2). Other more broad examples for inspiration can be access to education, environmental justice, gentrification, forms/expressions of freedom, disability rights/access, and indigenous rights, and First Nations sovereignty. This call is open to two and three dimensional works.
The Walls We Build will be exhibited in with one of VAE's community partners at United Arts Council
- The Walls We Build is a juried exhibition, open to all artists.
- All work must fit through VAE’s 104″ x 71″ front door.
- Artwork will be hung on a hanging system, and must be wired.
- Up to two entries per artist.
- Juried with JPEGs.
- Entries must be received by 11:59 pm on May 7, 2018.
Please use the online entry form to submit artwork details and pay your entry fee.
The form will ask you to:
> enter your personal contact information
> upload your JPEG entries OR submit a link for web-based submissions
> provide details about your entries
> allow you to pay your entry fee
VAE members - $10 per artwork/$20 for two pieces*
Non-members - $15 per artwork/$30 for two pieces*
* If this entry fee would pose a financial barrier to entering this exhibition please email Kyle or call 919.256.6856.
* Entry fees are non-refundable. Click here to join VAE!
Deadline for entries.....................11:59 pm on May 7, 2018
Artwork drop-off...........................May 23, 11-6 - May 26, 2017 11-4
Exhibition ......………………….….…....June 1-29, 2018
First Friday receptions…..…….….June 1, 2018 6-10pm
Artwork pick-up…………...........…..June 26, 11-6 - June 29, 2018, 11-4
To use the online form to submit information about and images of your work, please review these instructions for naming your files:
- All files should be named like so: 01_LASTNAME_TITLE.jpg, 02_LASTNAME_TITLE.jpg.
- Still images should be sent as jpegs should be at least 1000px at their widest dimension, not to exceed 2MB per image. 2D artists may submit one JPEG per entry. 3D artists may submit two JPEGS (one full shot and one detail) per entry. Follow the filename format for works as indicated above.
- Video samples should be edited to no longer than 2-minute excerpts. It is strongly preferred that video & audio artists submit their work online through clips or URL addresses to online sharing formats like Hulu, Vimeo, youtube, or dropbox. Videos submitted as uploaded files should be submitted as Quicktime files whose width is no larger than 720px and file size is no larger than 10MB (as that is the largest file eligible for upload on our entry software). Video pieces will only be accepted for exhibition if they are captioned, either with open captioning, that is integrated into the video or closed captioning that can be turned on when needed. Read info about captioning videos on Youtube, with iMovie, or Quicktime! Please only submit video art or video documentation of an art piece that requires video to be fully experienced. Do not send video walk-throughs of static exhibitions or video slideshows. While web-hosted submissions are strongly preferred, video and audio samples can be submitted on CD if necessary. Please contact Brandon Cordrey to make arrangements for CD delivery prior to the deadline. Follow the filename format for works as indicated above.
- Audio: Audio should be submitted as separate MP3 files. Each track should be no longer than 2 minutes. Follow the filename format for works as indicated above.
- Web-based: Web-based work should be submitted as a URL listed in the work sample list. Please only submit web-based projects. A portfolio website that features audio/video art and still images will not be considered.
ULTRALIGHT is open to any living artist with a disability. A maximum of 2 works of any medium, per artist may be submitted. Two and three-dimensional entries will be accepted. Work must be original and completed in the last 3 years. No copies, mechanical reproductions, molds or kit work will be accepted. VAE reserves the right to exclude work due to size or special requirements. Entries must be hand delivered to the gallery or mailed in a returnable container. Artwork submitted on behalf of an artist requires written and signed authorization from the artist.
VAE’s gallery space is fully accessible and we strive to make the submission process accessible as well. We encourage anyone to enter our open call exhibitions. If you need any additional information or accommodations in order to enter this exhibition or become a VAE member, please email Brandon or call 919.256.6856 for assistance. Visit our accessibility page for more information.
Ship artwork using a sturdy, reusable packing materials clearly labeled with your name and telephone number. Do not include return postage in case the artwork sells during the run of the exhibition. Following the exhibition, each artist who shipped their work should generate a FedEx label and email it to Kyle so the piece may be returned. Do not use styrofoam packing peanuts. Shipments of artwork will be accepted April 22-27, 2017.
309 W Martin Street
Raleigh, NC 27601
VAE will retain a commission of 30% for VAE members, 50% for non-members on all work sold during the exhibit. If a work is not for sale please indicate with NFS value in appropriate space during registration or on the consignment sheet. Click here to join VAE!
All entries will be handled with the utmost care and respect. VAE is not liable for artwork during transportation to or from the gallery but does carry a blanket inland marine policy that covers most fine art works and craft items up to $5,000. VAE reserves the right to refuse coverage to artwork with inherent vices, high values or that is deemed unstable. By entering into this show, the artist agrees to abide by all rules and regulations as set by exhibition guidelines.
QUESTIONS? Email Kyle!