UNITED ARTS COUNCIL
410 Glenwood Avenue, Suite 170, Raleigh, NC 27603
Exhibitions at United Arts are mounted in The MJH Gallery. This space is located in the historic Pine State Creamery building in the Glenwood South district of Downtown Raleigh. This exhibition space features great natural light, views from the storefront windows, and an opening reception as part of Raleigh's First Friday Gallery Walk. This venue features exhibits of 2D and 3D work each month. While UAC does not offer and artist stipend, they host the largest First Friday out of our CEP and are one of the best selling venues.
In our partnership with UAC, VAE will be hosting both solo and group shows. Artists may apply to any number of group shows as well as the call for a solo exhibition. The entries for solo exhibitions roll forward, so artists only need to apply once for this call.
- Two-dimensional exhibits: 15-20 pieces of medium (> 16"x20") to large (> 24"x36") works
- Three-dimensional exhibits: 5-15 pieces (depending on scale)
Exhibition Duration: One month
- Juried exhibitions are open to all artists.
- All work must fit through UAC's front doos.
- 2D will be hung on a hanging system,
- 2D work must be wired.
- 3D work must de displayed in a case
- Up to two entries per artist.
- Juried with JPEGs.
- Entries must be received by 11:59 pm the night of the deadline.
Current Group Calls
United Arts Council is open to any living artist. A maximum of 2 works of any medium, per artist may be submitted. Two and three-dimensional entries will be accepted. Work must be original and completed in the last 3 years. No copies, mechanical reproductions, molds or kit work will be accepted. VAE reserves the right to exclude work due to size or special requirements. Entries must be hand delivered to the gallery or mailed in a returnable container. Artwork submitted on behalf of an artist requires written and signed authorization from the artist.
We will not exhibit or financially support work that co-opts the story of a community without representation from that community acting in a decision making role.
To use the online form to submit information about and images of your work, please review these instructions for naming your files:
- All files should be named like so: 01_LASTNAME_TITLE.jpg, 02_LASTNAME_TITLE.jpg.
- Still images should be sent as jpegs should be at least 1000px at their widest dimension, not to exceed 2MB per image. 2D artists may submit one JPEG per entry. 3D artists may submit two JPEGS (one full shot and one detail) per entry. Follow the filename format for works as indicated above.
- Video samples should be edited to no longer than 2-minute excerpts. It is strongly preferred that video & audio artists submit their work online through clips or URL addresses to online sharing formats like Hulu, Vimeo, youtube, or dropbox. Videos submitted as uploaded files should be submitted as Quicktime files whose width is no larger than 720px and file size is no larger than 10MB (as that is the largest file eligible for upload on our entry software). Video pieces will only be accepted for exhibition if they are captioned, either with open captioning, that is integrated into the video or closed captioning that can be turned on when needed. Read info about captioning videos on Youtube, with iMovie, or Quicktime! Please only submit video art or video documentation of an art piece that requires video to be fully experienced. Do not send video walk-throughs of static exhibitions or video slideshows. While web-hosted submissions are strongly preferred, video and audio samples can be submitted on CD if necessary. Please contact Brandon Cordrey to make arrangements for CD delivery prior to the deadline. Follow the filename format for works as indicated above.
- Audio: Audio should be submitted as separate MP3 files. Each track should be no longer than 2 minutes. Follow the filename format for works as indicated above.
- Web-based: Web-based work should be submitted as a URL listed in the work sample list. Please only submit web-based projects. A portfolio website that features audio/video art and still images will not be considered.
VAE’s gallery space is fully accessible and we strive to make the submission process accessible as well. We encourage anyone to enter our open call exhibitions. If you need any additional information or accommodations in order to enter this exhibition or become a VAE member, please email Brandon or call 919.256.6856 for assistance. Visit our accessibility page for more information.
Ship artwork using a sturdy, reusable packing materials clearly labeled with your name and telephone number. Do not include return postage in case the artwork sells during the run of the exhibition. Following the exhibition, each artist who shipped their work should generate a FedEx label and email it to Kyle so the piece may be returned. Do not use styrofoam packing peanuts. Shipments of artwork will be accepted April 22-27, 2017.
309 W Martin Street
Raleigh, NC 27601
VAE will retain a commission of 30% for VAE members, 50% for non-members on all work sold during the exhibit. If a work is not for sale please indicate with NFS value in appropriate space during registration or on the consignment sheet. Click here to join VAE!
All entries will be handled with the utmost care and respect. VAE is not liable for artwork during transportation to or from the gallery but does carry a blanket inland marine policy that covers most fine art works and craft items up to $5,000. VAE reserves the right to refuse coverage to artwork with inherent vices, high values or that is deemed unstable. By entering into this show, the artist agrees to abide by all rules and regulations as set by exhibition guidelines.
QUESTIONS? Email Kyle!